Sunday, June 14, 2009

CaLiFoRnIa!!


I went to California with the family I nanny for. They own an amazing house in Cardiff by the Sea, it's fun, its super close to the beach and pretty much anything you need is within walking distance, it was great. The weather was amazing, not too hot, not too cold, with the exception of the last couple of days. We flew in last Saturday (June 6) and came home last Thursday (June 11). While in California, we went to the beach, San Diego Padres vs. Arizona D-Backs baseball game, we attempted to go to a Botanical Garden, but little Reese just didn't like the idea and we ended up leaving, which was just a pain b/c while attempting to get her out of the car when we arrived, I let the seat down in the back so I could pull her out and in the process lifted a little too much and the seat came off the track, so eventuallywhen we got sick of listening to her cry we went to get back in the car and I think it took Margaret and me about 30 minutes trying to get the seat back in the right position, all the while, some children just weren't being patient, yeah I would say my nerves were being tested that day, it was the only day throughout the entire time we were in California that any major tantrums were thrown and they all just happened to be on the same day. Reese was just having a hard day, we couldn't please her if the world depended on it, with the gardens to where to eat for lunch, any place just wouldn't do, so she settled for some chips and pirate booty- what a lunch, but after the little squirt got some food in her, she straightened up and we had a jolly good time shopping for clothes and shoes :) One day we met up with the kids' uncle, cousin, and aunt and we ventured on over to Lego Land. Now if you haven't been here, I don't really think your missing much. Syd, Reese and I went on one ride together, and then Syd and I were done, the lines were much too long. Reese did one other ride with her parents, they stood in line for 45 minutes and the ride lasted less than 1 minutes. Meanwhile Syd and I were indulging our selves with Mozzarella and Basil Tomato sandwiches, they were mighty delicious. One thing that was fascinating at Lego Land, was the Aquarium, it was pretty cool, it had all sorts of different fishes, sharks, and whatever else and then at the end they have a "petting pool" with starfish, and well that's all I remember being in there, I didn't touch or pet any of the living water creatures, but Reese and Syd did-I was just disgusted, I couldn't imagine touching them. (I just realized as I was uploading pictures, not a single picture was taken with Charley Grace, she was with her mom most of the time and for most of the Padres game, which is where all these pictures were taken)



One night during the week I was able to catch up with a really good friend from high school. Kristen Pedersen, she has lived in California for about 5 years and worked like 10 minutes away from my boss's house. We planned dinner and then Margaret, Dominic, and the girls went to visit their uncle. It was perfect timing, they left about 530, Kristen picked me up about 6:15, we had a fantastic dinner at EnFuego, and lots of catching up on each other's lives and then back to the house. It was great timing b/c she came inside, I gave her a tour, we had a little candid moment and we were walking outside and the family showed up, so it was a great evening out and I just loved getting together with Kristen. I was a little nervous, just because you know how awkward it can be when you haven't seen someone for so long and then you have dinner or a get together and it's just awkward chit chat...well I was thinking that's what was going to happen, but bless Kristen's' heart, it was just like we picked up from where we left off, not missing a beat you know. To say the least, I just wish she lived closer or we could get together more often. Trying to document the moment, our little candid camera session wasn't going so swell. After like 7 photo tries, we finally landed a semi-decent one- we were laughing so hard at how hard it was to take a picture of the two of us..Good Times.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

You are so photogenic. I love all the pictures of you and your cute smile. It sounds like California was actually fun. I'm jealous that you were kicking in by the beach.

Thomas, Jentry & Asher said...

Sounds like SOO much fun and I am totally jealous you got to spend time with Kris!! Fun Fun!

the larsons said...

I didn't know you were a nanny! What a fun job:) Looks like you had a really good time!!